Much of prevention is focused on individual attitudes, beliefs, behaviors and skills. Yet individuals do not make their choices in a vacuum. This training explores the environmental influences on individual alcohol and drug use choices, such as community norms, access and availability, media messages, and policy and enforcement. In addition, we will examine effective strategies that can be used to impact these environmental factors.
At the conclusion of the training participants will:
- Have a better understanding of environmental prevention, including: community norms, access & availability, media messages, and policy & enforcement
- Be able to distinguish between individual and environmental strategies
- Know the relationship between individual and environmental prevention
- Demonstrate their ability to apply environmental strategies to their community
- Network with others to share ideas and strengthen collaboration